Saturday, August 1, 2009

Almost a week, I know, slacking...

It has been almost a week since my last post, but lately I have just not felt like making a post lately. But I have much to say so I guess I should write about it.

I started school this week, and I am so excited about it. I am taking six classes.
  1. Comparative History of Latin America and Argentina
  2. Literatura II de Argentina
  3. Political and Social Change of Argentina and Latin America
  4. Argentina Soceidad Abierta
  5. Espanol Intermedio
  6. Tango

Sp those are my classes, the ones in English are taught in English and the ones in Spanish are taught in Spanish. The tango class is also taught in Spanish.

When I first signed up for my classes I thought they were all going to be taught in Spanish and I was excited because I was sure that would help my Spanish exponentially, so when I found out that two were in English I was going to drop on and add another class in Spanish, but i like both english classes so now I am just taking more classes rather than subtracting any. I'm such a nerd, cause I am really excited for classes, I really wanna absorb a lot of information while I am down here so I am excited about that. I love my Tango class, it is so fun, and I am surprisingly not that bad at it...jaja. The rest of my classes are awesome as well. My Spanish class so far is really easy so I kinda of want to switch into a higher level, but there is only 6 people in my class (four of which are Italian boys...) so I get a lot of attention and can ask questions whenever I want. I think my literature class is going to be really good the professor speaks clearly and really wants us to learn. My other classes are good, but haven't really delved into anything yet.

Oh my gosh I went to the coolest place on Tuesday. It was called JOBS and before I went I was told it was a place where you can play games and kinda hang out maybe have a drink, so I was stoked, you know a chill night just playing games. Well it was a little different, in a good way though. When you first walk in its this huge place, kinda dark, but with a redish hint to the light, crowded with people. The bottom floor has a bar and pool tables and sitting tables to play board games and such. The second floor (where we sat) has darts, fooz ball, and archery, yes archery, in a bar, I don't know if that's the best idea but it was really cool. We sat next to the archery. There was about seven us and we played Jenga, which was amazing. Drinks for 2x1 (every Tuesday) so that was awesome as well. I had two gin&tonics (new favorite drink cause I realized tonic water has no calories so it saves me a little) and laughed all night long.

I found a gym. 85 pesos a month, about $24 American, and its only a block and a half from my house. I mean it has some treadmills, an elliptical, bikes and free weights. It has the necessities, which includes a decent amount of good looking guys, so really what more could I ask for? I mean that all I look for in a gym, jajaja.

Yesterday I did something I have never done before. I played polo. and I don't mean water polo, I mean real polo, on horses. Yep yesterday I went with a girl that only came down here because she plays polo and loves it, to her friends club. It was a long day let me tell you. We met up at around noon and didn't get to the club until like 3:30. We got there ate (there was a decent amount of meat so I had a little salad and some bread) then we got on the horses. I mean I used to ride horses, but that was like ten years ago. So I kinda of had tor e-learn. I wasn't scared, just a little embarrassed, because the two guys with us were professional polo players, and my friend plays polo and used to jump horses as well. So yeah...Well one of the guys was my teacher for the day. The first step was getting on the horse, a little difficult ( I had to use a chair, jajaja) then it was walking. I could steer the horse fine and do all the right things, I could hit the ball fine as well (well most of the time) but when it came to cantering (running) it was a little hard. I mean I could do it but i didn't have the best balance, and I would always hold my stick in the wrong way. I practiced for a while and kinda of got it down, so we decided to play a small game, 2x2. Well lets just say the teams were a little lopsided. I mean I didn't even know any of the rules, and couldn't exactly keep up speed wish with the others, jajaja. But it was so much fun, I hit the ball a couple of times but I don't even care it was a blast. We didn't get back to BsAs until like 9ish and they all wanted to go to the discoteca called Shampoo but I was so tired, not to mention hungry, as well as sick (cold, lame, lame, lame) I had to bail, but hopefully I get to play more, as well as chill with the guys more. Because they are good looking, polite, and pretty damn funny.

Last night we had dinner, and Marta (my host mom) had bought tofu, even though she has never cooked it, and made this rice, veggie and tofu mixture, that was actually really good. But she made me eat so much of it that I felt so sick afterwards. I mean I know it was a huge amount of calories, and I need those calories and protein, but she like forces food down my throat. I mean I don't have an eating disorder chill! I guess I can kind of see where she is coming from. Argentina has the second most number of eating disorders cases in the world, and I don't eat meat, and she is a grandma so she never thinks I am eating enough. But I mean when I say no I really do mean no. And I mean I have like a smile on my face, because I am being polite not because I am joking. And when I say no she gives me this look like eat this or i will kill you. I mean sometimes I can handle it and get her not to put more food on my plate and sometimes I just can't. I mean a lot of the time she thinks I don't like her food that's why I don't eat it, which isn't true, I just don't wanna eat three empanadas, salad, soup, and two spinach squares in one meal. I am just going to have to be more assertive which could be awkward but oh well that's life, I am living with her for four months. However, tonight will be a good meal because I am taking my friends to the Vegetarian/vegan buffet called Bohdi that I went to before. I am so excited cause the food is good, and the buffet only costs 20 pesos which is about 6-7 dollars, amazing. Food is kind of hard for me here. I mean I have lunch on my own and unless I want to load up on carbs I don't really have a huge selection. I mean they have plenty of fruits and vegetables but i NEED protein. I can get yogurt, and eat mixed nuts, but you Can only do that for so long, and I just can't eat cheese sandwiches all day. I mean what I really want is either a protein bar of some meat replacement sandwich or burrito. Or Maybe some beans! I mean can I get some beans here?!?!?! I am dying. For example, I am sitting here at a cafe starving. I ate breakfast at around 11 which included two pieces of wheat toast, a small amount of cereal, and a banana. Then at about 1:30 I had a non-fat arroz con leche which had some protein in it and a cafe mediano. Now its four and I am starving. What do I do I have dinner in like five hours. I could have some nuts when I get to the house, I could go to the store and get some bread and like cheese or something. or I could get some veggies. I wish i just had some easy quick snack, its really annoying, cause I just don't want to be eating bread and fat the entire time I am here. Who knows. Story of my life. Picky eaters suck. Oh well.

Jajaja, if the most difficult things in my life are figuring out what to do for lunch, I guess its not that bad, jajaaj. I think I am going to buy a backpacking pack this week so I can use that for my travels around Argentina and Europe. I also found a place that makes custom leather jackets for 400 pesos which is about $100 (I know not very vegetarian of me, but whatever, I don't care, jajaaj) So yeah...

Well I am going to go and find something to eat.

Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment