Sunday, July 19, 2009

My First Days in Argentina

So it is my second day in Argentina and its been a long two days let me jsut say that. It started off intense and hasn't really slowed down much until now.

To begin my flight out of Arcata was cancelled and my mom and I had to drive 5 hours to SF to catch my flight, then I flew 6 hours to DC then 10 hours to Buenos Aires, where I met my senora, Marta (age 72) had lunch and had a small orientation. So that was a little exhausting. After the meeting some of the guys and I went and had a beer and then I had dinner with Marta. I don't know what it is about older women and not thinking you are eating enough but she just kept trying to feed me and feed me, haha. After that I was dead and was in no place to go out and I passed out.

Today was a good day, we had a long meeting then a tour of Buenos Aires, and went to a cafe the boys had some drink, I had coffee (my savior) the dinner once more.

Here is my dilemma, in Argentina, everyone has dinner around 830 or 9 or even later then takes a siesta, then goes out for a small drink and like 12, the goes to the clubs around 2am and stays out until like 7 or 8 AM. I can barely stay up until 12am let alone beign to go out then. However if I want to have a social life here I need to learn how to do this, I also feel bad because I am living with this older lady and i feel super akward coming back to the house intoxicated. I mean I know that she would be asleep, but what if I can't open the door or something, or I get lost, I mean i don't wanna mess up. That would not be good. I understand that this is the expected lifestyle of the study abroad student and she wouldn't be offended as long as I tell her that I will be home later, but i just feel wierd, you know? And the friends that I have made are really cool, and the are going to the bars tonight, they were meeting up at an apartment at 11 (it's not 11:21) and then going out after that. But 1) I only have a 50 peso bill and the taxis don't have change so i don't know how I would get drinks and 2)i jsut am not a huge party animal, and I don't know how that is going to work out, I'm so much more of a staying in kinda person, I'm not big on clubs and not big on getting super wasted either. I had my freshman year and i did that and I don't think that was for me, sometimes when I drink i just keep drinking and before I know it it's to late and I'm gone, and I don't want that to happen.

So I have a problem, because if I want to keep the friends that I have now I need to go out at night, but i probably won't have more than one drink, I jsut need to suck it up and go on my own to meet up with people and learn to stay up late. I'm not very good at this whole being social and what not thing, hahaah.

Well I girl has to learn I guess.

Until next time

ciao.

No comments:

Post a Comment