Monday, October 26, 2009

Iguazu

One of the 7 natural wonders of the world.
Huge Falls cascadig over a Jungle.
Standing in Argentina, seeing Brazil and Paraguay.
A monsoon-esq storm, closing a park, shutting down a train track, and completely soaking you from head to toe.
A second day of sun, of waterfalls, and of exhaustion.
That was my weekend.
I went to the Iguazu National Park this weekend.
We arrived first at an estancia where we "tomared" sol and ate a lot (of course) checked out a Mate plant and pretty much relaxed. We then headed to Puerto Iguazu. We arrived exhausted just in time for the Buffet at the hotel. And this was danger. There was vegetable (yummy ones) and pasta and bread. It was bad. Let me jsut say we had bought wine for after dinner, but I was so full that I couldn't drink it, jajajaja. So the next day (saturday) we went to the Falls. Well I woke hearing thunder, not a good sign. And as the day progressed it didn't stop, lightning, thunder, downpour, we got it all. However, because it hadn't rained much the week the water hadn't risen above the bridges and we were able to go to the highest trail and see the waterfalls. To get to the waterfalls you have to cross several bridges. And because it was basically a monsoon it was windy. You were walking across the bridge and had rain pelting u so fast that it was painful and wind blowing, feet slippy, the whole nine yards. But we made it to the falls and it was pretty cool. once we returned to where the train was to take us to the next section, we were informed the the park had been closed because of the weather and the trains weren't running now because there was debree (?) on the tracks and they had to clear it before we could go back. So wewaited outside in the cold for about 2 hours before we got back on the bus to go to the hotel. The next day we were supposed to go to a village with natives, but because we missed so much yesterday we went back to the falls again. We walked to more paths in the sun and were able to view everything. Before we came back to the airport we stopped at a location where to rivers meet and you can stand in Argentina and see Brazil and Paraguay, which was pretty cool. Then we came home, and died of exhaustion.

Overall the trip was good. I had a good time and it was pretty. But I don't know I didn't get the wow factor that I thought I would. I mean people had told me that it was a life changing experience. That it gives you some reasons to believe in god. But I didn't get that at all. I mean yeah it was cool, and beautiful, and the were huge, but I mean they are waterfalls. Maybe I take things like that for granted. I mean I didn' grown up in one of the 7 natural wonders of the world also. And I think the fact that it was such a tourist spot made it less amazing. I mean when you have abnoxious teenagers running around and adults with like 40 bags and ponchos walking around speaking horrible spanish it kinda akes away from the scenerie. I mean I was more wowed when we pulled of the road in Mendoza and had the snowcaped Andes behind and a beautiful lake in front of me. But I don't know. I just feel/felt bad for not being amazed by Iguazu. But hey, thats life.

Also this is my last week before finals...wierd fucking shit.

No comments:

Post a Comment